Saturday, January 5, 2008

Ginger Dressing

Many years ago I went to a kayak gear swap and met a woman named Sandy Riggin. Sandy told me she was writing a book about her childhood, and long story short, I volunteered my editing skills. Little did I know the book was 1000 pages, and the subject so close to her that she wouldn't allow me to take the book home with me. So for many weeks, I drove up to her log cabin by Mt. Yonah, Georgia and we'd sit together discussing her work and I'd fail to get her to cut down any of the length of this book.
For my services, I received two Native American chevrons (trading beads) and she'd make some amazing snacks. She'd make this dressing and we'd eat entire tomotoes, avocados, and cucumbers drenched in it.

4 oz white onion
1/2 oz fresh ginger (cut it up before putting it into the blender)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 soy sauce
1/4 apple cider vinegar
juice from about 1/10 lemon (I know that looks silly- I just do it to taste)

combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth.

NOTE: I will usually add the olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar and lemon juice and then experiment with how much onion and ginger I feel like having. Sometimes I make this really onion-y because I love that strong flavor- other times I make it much more ginger-y. I slice up a cucumber and taste-test for about half the cucumber until I get it just right.

People sometimes add carrots to their ginger dressing- it will give it that nice orange color- I never do though, I dont want anything cutting the flavor of the onion and ginger.

This is probably one of the most requested things I make. Enjoy!

No comments: