Saturday, February 2, 2008

Veggie Tennnessee Turkey Sandwiches




I used to eat the meat version of this in college and it was unbelievable. It also contributed to my "freshman fifteen". I don't remember when I first made this vegetarian, but it's so good with all veggie substitutes. It's even good with diet vegetarian substitutions- I used to make them for my family when everyeone was on Weight Watchers. For the diet versions, just get lite everything except the "turkey" and the "bacon".
Ingredients:
Rye bread
Swiss cheese
Veggie bacon (3 slices)
Veggie turkey (3 slices)
Thousand Island dressing
Sauerkraut

The only thing that really needs "cooking" is the bacon because it's frozen- a minute in a frying pan is all that needs. Don't over cook it, it will get crunchy and doesn't taste good.
So basically, spray the pan with Pam (or if you're being decadent, use butter), put the rye bread in and then pile all the ingredients. I like to put the swiss cheese on the bottom and top layers- cover the sandwich and carefully flip when the bottom slice is brown.
The good news is that sauerkraut is an all-you-can-eat food, it has tons of flavor, and the veggie substitutes are high in protein and low in fat. This is one of those things that vegetarian-food-phobic people like. Actually love.