Friday, November 21, 2008

I'm off to Portland


It's almost time for me to leave for Portland and hit Michael Sylvester's bike fitting studio. I'm up late tonight getting ready to go. I was told to bring my pedals, seat, handlebars with me to aid in the fitting, but I think I'm only going to bring my seat and pedals. Who wants to fuss with taking off the handlebars? Besides, I can ride my bike with no handlebars, no handlebars, no handlebars...(that's a song, I digress...)

In the process of getting ready to go, I've been trying to make sure I won't get lost in Portland. I used Google Transit to help me figure out how to get to the places I need to go. Except for to the airport and to the fitting studio, I'm content to wing it. So here I am, exceptional technology in hand, but no way to put it well, in hand. Enter Danielb who helped me figure out how to solve my problem.

I use the iPod Touch, or as I like to call it, the JenniPod™. (Thanks Wil for the ™ lesson). I've always been frustrated that without the wifi connection, the JenniPod™ is really just a movie/music player. Tonight, I learned about the app Air Sharing. Basically, it allows the iPod Touch and the iPhone to use digital paper.

I made some text documents I needed, then saved several versions of the Google Transit instructions as pdf files, which I am now able to carry on my JenniPod™. Awesome! The app cost $7, the most I've ever paid for one, but I can already see it will be invaluable to me, and so far it seems to function very well.

Of course I could have simply printed out all the maps I needed and put them in my pocket, but how very pedestrian that would be.

I never thought I'd be such a gadget geek but goodness it's fun. I also loaded some movies on the JenniPod™ for the flight and for delays. It's the immediate cure for impatience.

No comments: