Friday, August 3, 2007

Amber chocoholic

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Oh Amber. Why do you do it?
I planned to make chocolate chip cookies today with Gray. After I got back from the store, I realized I was still missing a few ingredients, so back we went. As soon as I walked in the door I noticed the empty package of semi-sweet chocolate. Yikes. As you most likely know, chocolate is toxic to dogs- their liver is unable to process it and it can kill them. Dark or baking chocolate is worst, milk chocolate not so bad.
I knew immediately that she would be in trouble. Once before she ate an entire of bag of dark chocolate and I arrived home to find her near convulsions, the whites of her eyes turned purple, and trembling. An emergency visit to the vet saved her- he said what she ate would have surely killed her- in fact he said the amount she ate would've killed a golden retriever, let alone my 27 lb beagle.
So, with experience under my belt, I rushed back to the store and got some hydrogen peroxide. Less than a quarter cup will cause a dog to vomit. I didn't need to force it down her throat- experience has also taught me that she will readily drink it if I put it in a bowl in front of her.
She drank it and within minutes expelled the offending chocolate- very disgusting, but I was so happy to have been able to help her so quickly. (If you can vomit the dog within 1-4 hours of ingestion, they'll be ok.)
A quick bath to get rid of the yuck she got on her leg, and she's as good as new.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jenni the Dog Whisperer,

I hope that my Amberly Pamberly is ok.

Great advice for everyone, and quick thinking on your part!